Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula write to firewire tape library?

2008-11-24 01:12:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula write to firewire tape library?
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz AT kinzesberg DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 07:09:07 +0100
Dan,

--On 23. November 2008 16:49:46 -0500 Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2008, at 4:59 AM, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is it possible to have Bacula write to Tandberg's firewire VXA
>> StorageLoader?
>
> How does the device present itself to the OS?

How do I find out?

> If it appears as a SCSI
> tape device, then it *should* work
>
>> And if yes, has someone tested that on MacOS X or Linux? Anyone out
>> there
>> using this storage loader regularly?
>>
>> I have to test this storage loader as a backup device, and tests with
>> Retrospect and PresSTORE are unsatisfying so far; I would like to
>> find out
>> if the storage loader is simply unreliable or if the support for it
>> in the
>> named software is poor.
>
> What was unsatisfying?

quite frequent errors (Retrospect claims the catalogue being not in sync
with the tapes, PresSTORE has frequent difficulties re-reading used tapes).
The storage loader has been sent to Tandberg and repaired already (they
changed the mother board), but these symptomes are the same like before.

Dirk