Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula write to firewire tape library?

2008-11-24 04:32:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula write to firewire tape library?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:29:08 +0100
Hi,

23.11.2008 22:49, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2008, at 4:59 AM, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is it possible to have Bacula write to Tandberg's firewire VXA
>> StorageLoader?
>
> How does the device present itself to the OS?  If it appears as a SCSI
> tape device, then it *should* work

I believe that, in MacOS X, there are no drivers for tapes included,
i.e. no /dev/stX or /dev/saX. I guess proprietary software brings
their own drivers.

>> And if yes, has someone tested that on MacOS X or Linux? Anyone out
>> there
>> using this storage loader regularly?

I don't think many Bacula users use tape drives under MacOSX... you'll
probably get better feedback in some MacOS-related forums or something.

>> I have to test this storage loader as a backup device, and tests with
>> Retrospect and PresSTORE are unsatisfying so far; I would like to
>> find out
>> if the storage loader is simply unreliable or if the support for it
>> in the
>> named software is poor.

Actually, if the vendors claim the device is supported you should
contact them...

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann