Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] retention time confusing

2008-11-23 17:59:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] retention time confusing
From: Dagan McGregor <dmcgregor AT landmarktech DOT net>
To: Carlo Maesen <c.maesen AT aca-it DOT be>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:55:12 +1300
Carlo Maesen wrote:
> I am still confused about retentiontimes.
> I have defined a pool (aca) with a volume-retention of 6days. A client has a
> retention (job and file) of 365 days.

  I believe you may want that the other way around.

  From my understanding, and the way I have my retention periods
configured, the volume retention is the over-riding factor in how long
the files are retained on the backup media (tape in my case).

  The job are removed from the catalogue after the job retention time
expires, the files are be removed from the catalogue after the file
retention time expires, and the volumes containing the actual written
backed-up files on the backup media won't be removed until the volume
retention time expires.

  And from my understanding, they operate in that precedence, job, file,
volume.

  Someone please correct me if I have it wrong.

--
Cheers,
Dagan McGregor