Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula write to firewire tape library?

2008-11-24 16:20:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Can Bacula write to firewire tape library?
From: Richard Todd <rmtodd AT servalan.servalan DOT com>
To: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz AT kinzesberg DOT de>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:45:34 -0600
"Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz AT kinzesberg DOT de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> is it possible to have Bacula write to Tandberg's firewire VXA
> StorageLoader?
>
> And if yes, has someone tested that on MacOS X or Linux? Anyone out there
> using this storage loader regularly?

I don't have a StorageLoader, but I have the standalone firewire VXA-320
tape drive, and FreeBSD sees it just fine and it works with bacula:

sa0 at sbp0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
sa0: <EXABYTE VXA-3a 3222> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-3 device

As someone else noted, MacOS doesn't have the standard Unix tape drivers, so
if you plug the tape drive into a Mac, bacula won't be able to do anything
with it.  I'd expect it'd work with Linux though, assuming Linux treats
firewire tapes or other devices as SCSI ones just like FreeBSD does.