Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fibre Channel drives keep switching

2008-11-19 11:22:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fibre Channel drives keep switching
From: "Robert LeBlanc" <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 09:20:33 -0700

> You can write a udev rule to lock the drives down. I wrote one awhile
> back to keep the changer device the same.
>
> dev6 ~ # cat /etc/udev/rules.d/55-bacula.rules
> SUBSYSTEM=="scsi",ATTRS{vendor}=="EXABYTE*",ATTRS{type}=="8",
> SYMLINK+="autochanger1 changer"
>

> BTW, Is this swapping of drives causing any real problems?

I'm not having a problem with the changer, only the drives in the
changer as they are separate targets and not LUNS of the changer. This
causes great problems with Bacula. What will happen is Bacula needs a
tape in Drive0, but unload the tape in Drive1 into the slot for Drive0
and load the correct tape into Drive1, then find that the wrong tape is
in Drive0 and wait for a mount of the correct tape. I have to stop the
SD, swap the /dev/st[01] entries, restart the SD, perform an 'update
slots', after a few jobs crash, then they start working again. After the
jobs run, I have to manually move tapes around to get them back into the
correct slots and do another 'update slots'.

This is because some of bacula interacts with the tape drives as
/dev/st* (tape changing, etc) and some of Bacula (job scheduling, etc)
use Drive*.

Robert