Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size

2008-11-19 07:21:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size
From: Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <lbocseg AT yahoo.com DOT br>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 03:52:56 -0800 (PST)
> De: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
> Assunto: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size
> Para: "Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas" <lbocseg AT yahoo.com DOT br>
> Cc: bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
> Data: Terça-feira, 18 de Novembro de 2008, 23:18
> > Thank you very much, John. That's exactly what I
> need and I think I
> > understood what is the hole idea here. I'll check
> the manuals for
> > understanding what those options mean. Tomorrow
> morning I'll do my tests. If
> > I have additional doubts, I'll ask you. I'm
> not sure if I would need to
> > recycle the backup file regularly, manually, or
> creating new volumes...
> >

> One point I did not mention. If you change the retention
> period for a
> pool any labeled volumes will not automatically get the new
> retention
> period. To fix this use the
>
> update volume
>
> command in bconsole and follow the prompts.

John, I've done the following instructions:

* purge volume=Catalogo
* update volume=Catalogo
Selected 4 days for VolumeRetention and 100MB for MaxVolBytes and Recycle=1
* llist volumes
Pool: Default
          MediaId: 2
       VolumeName: Catalogo
             Slot: 0
           PoolId: 1
        MediaType: File
     FirstWritten: 2008-08-14 01:24:40
      LastWritten: 2008-11-18 23:10:10
        LabelDate: 2008-08-14 01:24:40
          VolJobs: 68
         VolFiles: 0
        VolBlocks: 11,716
        VolMounts: 68
         VolBytes: 753,664,066
        VolErrors: 0
        VolWrites: 11,717
 VolCapacityBytes: 0
        VolStatus: Purged
          Enabled: 1
          Recycle: 1
     VolRetention: 345,600
   VolUseDuration: 0
       MaxVolJobs: 0
      MaxVolFiles: 0
      MaxVolBytes: 100,000,000
        InChanger: 0
          EndFile: 0
         EndBlock: 753,664,065
         VolParts: 0
        LabelType: 0
        StorageId: 1
         DeviceId: 0
       LocationId: 0
     RecycleCount: 0
     InitialWrite: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
    ScratchPoolId: 0
    RecyclePoolId: 0
          Comment: NULL

My question is: tonight bacula will run the nightly backup. Will the Catalog
backup file shrink from 750MB to less than 100MB? Or should I do anything else?

Thank you for all your support.

Best Regards,

Rodrigo.

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com