Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size

2008-11-18 10:44:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: lbocseg AT yahoo.com DOT br, bacula-users AT lists.sf DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:43:19 -0500
> What would happen if I just deleted the Catalog backup file? What is the
> reason about backing up multiple catalog backups? Why just the last one (or
> the last 3) is not enough?

Wait a minute. I think I misunderstood your question.

You have a disk based volume for your catalog backups?

And this file is growing with each backup?

If so this is normal if you did not tell bacula to limit its size or
its usage in any way.

See the docs:
http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

You need to set one of the following directives:
    * Use Volume Once = yes
    * Volume Use Duration = ttt
    * Maximum Volume Jobs = nnn
    * Maximum Volume Bytes = mmm

And if you are sure that your current catalog is not corrupted, I
would just purge that volume file. Remember bacula will never reduce
the size of a disk volume if you purge individual jobs from the
volume. Purging a volume (tape, dvd, disk ...) is all or nothing.

John