Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size

2008-11-18 08:49:23
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula Catalog File - How to reduce its size
From: Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas <lbocseg AT yahoo.com DOT br>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 05:20:59 -0800 (PST)
I'm using the default settings of Bacula configurations to write the bacula
catalog backups to a file. The file is growing fast. I had a problem with power
failure and lost 4 months of backup due to a tape failure. I would like to
purge all jobids < 100, for instance, since the related tape doesn't exist
anymore. I hope this will reduce the catalog backup file size.

I can't do it with "purge files jobid=2", for instance. Nothing happens and the
following message is showed:

"
This command is can be DANGEROUS!!!

It purges (deletes) all Files from a Job,
JobId, Client or Volume; or it purges (deletes)
all Jobs from a Client or Volume without regard
for retention periods. Normally you should use the
PRUNE command, which respects retention periods.
"

How should I proceed?

One more doubt: what is the effect of renaming the old catalog backup file and
creating a new one with "touch /backup-bacula/Catalog", for instance?

In other words, why do I need the old catalog backups? My database is less than
30MB, but the file that holds the catalog backup is over 700MB.

Thanks in advance,

Rodrigo.

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com