Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-06 17:09:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 23:05:55 +0100
Hi,

06.11.2008 17:34, Erik Logtenberg wrote:
> I would very much like to see the possibility to make only incremental
> backups, no more full backups required.
>
> The main point is to (dramatically) decrease the needed bandwidth, which
>  makes the difference between being able or not to use Bacula for
> relatively large storage devices on relatively slow internet connections
> (with relatively few changes/day), like almost all of my backup targets.

Synthetic full backups or consolidation. A feature that is in the
development queue and could (in my opinion) be one of the major new
things in a 3.1 release, i.e. perhaps next year.

To learn more, search the bacula-devel list archive for subjects
containing "Synthetic" or "Consolidation" - you'll find that, if
someone invests money or programmer's time, this project could be started.

> Ofcourse Bacula can do this if you simply never cycle the original Full
> Backup and retain *all* incremental backups since the beginning, but
> this is not what I mean.

This is, also, usually not what you want unless you use "accurate"
backups, available in the current development version (because a
normal incremental backup doesn't know about moved or renamed files).

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann