Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 00:23:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: "James Harper" <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: "Dan Langille" <dan AT langille DOT org>, "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 16:09:24 +1100

http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html

> SDAddresses = <IP-address-specification>
> Specify the ports and addresses on which the Storage daemon will
> listen for Director connections.
>
> Is this not what you need?
>
> NOTE: I think Director in this case also applies to clients.

I think the problem arises when you have the following situation:

DIR
IP Address 10.1.1.1/24

SD
IP Address 10.1.1.2/24
IP Address 10.1.2.2/24

FD
IP Address 10.1.2.3/24

The SD only accepts connections to each IP address from another address
on that subnet, eg 10.1.1.1 -> 10.1.1.2 is accepted, but 10.1.2.3 ->
10.1.1.2 is not.

So the DIR needs to connect to the SD on IP address 10.1.1.2, but then
needs to tell the FD to connect to the same SD but on IP address
10.1.2.2. It is not possible to specify this using the current
configuration schema.

While the above isn't a real world situation, once you involve NAT and
such, real world situations do arise which have the same problem as the
above.

You can work around some variations of this problem by defining two SD
entries in your director config, provided you don't have any concurrency
problems, but not always.

I think the quickest (and dirtiest?) way around the problem would be to
define an addition option in the Directors Client config for 'SD
Address' (and maybe 'SD Port') which would tell the Client which IP
address to connect to the SD on, overriding the IP address in the
Directors Storage config.

All that being said, I bit of creative natting and port forwarding can
solve all of those problems for you too.

James