Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 07:28:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Silver Salonen" <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 07:08:36 +1930

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 3:25 AM, Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee> wrote:

On Monday 03 November 2008 01:29:45 Dan Langille wrote:

> With the upcoming release of Bacula, what new feature are you waiting for?

One more :)

Resume uncompleted backup.

I guess this should be quite easy to implement in Bacula 3.0 with Virtual Backup.

The process would look smth like that:

1) A big full (or differential) job starts, but errors out, because of network issue or smth

2) DIR marks the job as completed successfully, so that Bacula can base the next job on it

3) DIR starts the incremental job based on the errored out full/diff

4) DIR merges the 2 backups, irrespective of whether the incremental job completed successfully or not

5) While incremental job doesn't complete successfully, repeat points 3 and 4.

To my mind this could be done even manually, but it would be quite a pain without any scripts. But if we talk about backups that are a few tens of GB backed up over 50 KB/s WAN, then it would still benefit :)

Yep, and I must suppose that the location is well on the other side of the world (otherwise it could make no sense to remotely backup all that information).... because a 20GB backup could take something around 4 days, and I bet it is faster to send the backup via "snail mail" (ie, postal).  Or even better: have a local storage daemon to do the backup, it would take around 1 hour to run the backup, so you could even do it twice, and take one of the copies off-site.

--

Silver