Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?

2008-11-05 17:58:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
From: Hemant Shah <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com>
To: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:56:11 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail
DOT com> wrote:

> From: Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are you waiting for?
> To: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
> Cc: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>, "bacula-users AT
> lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 5:35 AM
> On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 10:06 AM, Hemant Shah
> <hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com> wrote:
>

> > --- On Tue, 11/4/08, John Drescher
> <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > > From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
> > > Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What new feature are
> you waiting for?
> > > To: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com
> > > Cc: "junior.listas"
> <junior.listas AT gmail DOT com>, "Frank Sweetser"
> <
> > fs AT wpi DOT edu>,
> "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <
> > bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
> > > Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008, 10:05 AM
> the
> > > problems specified in the above wiki, there are
> lots of
> > > tools to create/parse XML files tha could be
> useful.
> > > >
> > > I would vote against this if I could. I mean this
> will make
> > > it harder
> > > for me to edit the configuration files through
> ssh and to
> > > me any gui
> > > tools to edit the files will just get in the way
> being that
> > > I have 40+
> > > clients and about 75 different jobs.
> > >
> > > John
> >
> >  How would it be difficult to edit file through ssh?
> If you can edit the
> > current config file you can edit any text (XML) file.
>

> Nah, I don't like to edit XML files by hand.  It is
> prone to errors.  Just
> keep the config file format simple, it is easy to create a
> program that can
> parse the configuration format and let you edit it using a
> web or desktop
> interface, and it is even easier to edit/generate them
> using a perl script.

I use/edit XML just about everyday and I do not find it difficult. Converting
current config to XML should be pretty easy. Nowadays lots of web applications
(e.g. SOA) exclusively use XML, so, if someone wants to create a web module to
support XML there are lots of tools available.

> > Users who like GUI tools can use GUI tools, users like
> me who prefer vim
> > can still edit files using vim or any other text
> editor.
> >

> > Hemant Shah
> > E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com

> Developer's
> > challenge
> > Build the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin
> SDK & win great
> > prizes
> > Grand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event
> anywhere in the world

Hemant Shah
E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com