Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] What causes orphaned Path/Files in database?

2008-10-15 18:48:59
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] What causes orphaned Path/Files in database?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: baculausers <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 00:46:03 +0200
Hi,

15.10.2008 19:01, Hemant Shah wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I ran dbcheck command on bacula catalog and I it found following:
>
> Checking for Filenames with a trailing slash
> Found 0 bad Filename records.
> Checking for Paths without a trailing slash
> Found 0 bad Path records.
> Checking for duplicate Filename entries.
> Found 0 duplicate Filename records.
> Checking for duplicate Path entries.
> Found 0 duplicate Path records.
> Checking for orphaned JobMedia entries.
> Checking for orphaned File entries. This may take some time!
> Checking for orphaned Path entries. This may take some time!
> Found 5231 orphaned Path records.
> Checking for orphaned Filename entries. This may take some time!
> Found 35007 orphaned Filename records.
> Checking for orphaned FileSet entries. This takes some time!
> Found 0 orphaned FileSet records.
> Checking for orphaned Client entries.
> Found 0 orphaned Client records.
> Checking for orphaned Job entries.
> Found 0 orphaned Job records.
> Checking for Admin Job entries.
> Found 19 Admin Job records.
> Checking for Restore Job entries.
> Found 0 Restore Job records.
>

> What causes the orphaned paths and files?

That happens because, when Bacula prunes jobs, it does not verify that
a file name and path name record is still in use.

For example, you have backed up /somedir/somefile. The file is pruned,
but the path and the file name remain in the catalog.

This is done because - as you probably noticed - finding these entries
can take a very long time which we don't want to spend during regular,
in-job, pruning. Also, the entries will be reused if, later, you back
up /somedir/anotherfile and /home/user/somefile.

Or, in short - you're not seeing errors, you just found out a reason
why a scheduled dbcheck can help limiting the catalog size.

Arno

> Hemant Shah
> E-mail: hjrrs AT yahoo DOT com

Arno Lehmann