Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LVM or separate disks?

2008-09-26 12:07:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LVM or separate disks?
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Lukasz Szybalski" <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:03:57 -0400
> I'll play around with it, but just to make sure...I am running ext3
> and you are running xfs?

I have done most of my arrays with xfs or reiserfs. xfs is faster for
large files. And significantly faster to delete large files. But xfs
does not allow shrinking of the filesystem and you can not recover
deleted files on xfs like you can with reiserfs and ext3.

> Anything I should be aware of when I change the strip_cache_size in
> mdadm raid 5 ext3 setup?

The only danger of this is if you loose power or your system crashes
you loose the few seconds of data that sits in the cache. My systems
are all stable and I have every machine connected to its own UPS that
has enough power to run the system for at least 30 minutes. Basically
I never use a UPS at more than 25% of its rated power.

John