Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LVM or separate disks?

2008-09-26 05:41:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LVM or separate disks?
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 11:36:58 +0200
Chris Picton wrote:
> Hi
>
> What is the recommendation when it comes to backing up over multiple HDDs
>
> I have 6 x 1TB drives, and I am trying to choose between a single LVM
> volume, or 6 separate drives.
>
> Which will be more beneficial to bacula?
>
> If I have separate drives, I will need to assign jobs to each device
> individually, and manually migrate jobs between volumes when the jobs get
> too large
>
> If I have an LVM device, a drive failure will cause me to lose all
> backups.
>
> Is it possible to give bacula a pool of devices which will be
> intelligently chosen based on available space?
>
> What is the experience of users here?
>
> Chris

Hi Chris, for us it's definitively a LVM which contain raid-1 bunch of sata
disk which give us a raid-10 configuration.
We have redundancy and good perf with write io with the possibility to extend
quickly and easily the storage space needed.

With a more high-end raid controler I would have made test between raid-10 and
raid-50.

--

     Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl