Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LVM or separate disks?

2008-09-26 09:24:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LVM or separate disks?
From: Chris Picton <chris AT ecntelecoms DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 13:03:44 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 12:18:51 +0200, Adrian Moisey wrote:

> If RAID5 is slow and you don't care about redundancy, then I would say
> RAID0 (or LVM) over the disks.

Just a quick test I ran using
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/store/00/bigfile bs=1M count=8192
just to get a basic idea of speed:

Raid 5: 8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 302.948 seconds, 28.4 MB/s
Raid 0: 8589934592 bytes (8.6 GB) copied, 27.2641 seconds, 315 MB/s

The Raid 5 will not be able to keep up with my network cards...

Regarding redundancy, If I were to use individual disks, I would have an
extra management overhead, to ensure that each individual disk does not
run out of space, but a single failure would not lose *all* my data.

Can I get bacula to automatically backup to multiple devices for a single
job, to spread the backups in case of a single failure?