Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Specifing pool size midway through using it

2008-09-26 08:56:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Specifing pool size midway through using it
From: Sebastian Lehmann <slehmann AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: Bill Damage <bill.damage AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:53:25 +0200 (CEST)
Hi,

Am Fr 26.09.2008 10:59 schrieb Bill Damage <bill.damage AT yahoo DOT com>:

> The scenario is I have 10 DDS-4 tapes and they are doing an
> incremental of about 200M/day, sometimes more, but I can see now the
> whole set will take several weeks to recycle. I started by just
> labelling each volume on the fly, I'm currently at number 4, but I
> realised I can't just go on like this - when I get to tape 10 I want
> it to ask for tape 1 again. I named my pool, "P1" actually, so it is
> correctly adding each new volume to it correcly - I now just want to
> limit the number of volumes in it. Should I have done this before I
> started?

No, you can limit the number of volumes per pool at any time. Insert
Maximum Volumes = $NUMBER in your pool definition and reload the bacula
 config. If the $NUMBER of Volumes in the pool is reached, bacula will
 try to recycle the oldes volume. Make sure that there is a volume
 bacula can backup to! e.g. volume-retention = 10d.

This is not a perfect configuration! After 10 days you will lose any
backup at the oldest volume! So make any 7 days a full backup to ensure,
you have your data on tape.

Greetings

Sebastian