Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs (shouldn't be)

2008-09-20 19:58:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs (shouldn't be)
From: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:36:56 -0400
I have a series of Default jobs with no "Maximum Concurrent Jobs"
defined in the JobDefs or Client resources.  I also have some Database
jobs with "Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10" defined in the Director,
JobDefs, Client, and Storage resources.

The Default jobs have a priority of 20, and the Database jobs have a
priority of 10.  The intent is to have Database jobs always have
priority, and run in-between Default jobs as they are queued.  Typically
we have Default jobs run each night at 20:00.  We also have some
frequent Database jobs (transaction logs) that are backed up roughly
every 30 minutes.

This afternoon I kicked off three Default jobs at the same time.
Shortly afterwards, I noticed that a Database job had gotten queued up,
but the previous Default jobs were all "is running".  I expected only
the first Default job to be running, with the latter two to be "is
waiting".  Based on the online docs, it seems that leaving out the
"Maximum Concurrent Jobs" directive out of the Job (or JobDefs) resource
would be sufficient.  Can someone clarify this?

Running Jobs:
 JobId Level   Name                       Status
  1146 Full    Unix_www-va-4.2008-09-19_16.13.44 is running
  1147 Full    Unix_www-va-6.2008-09-19_16.13.45 is running
  1148 Full    Unix_www-va-5.2008-09-19_16.13.46 is running
  1149 Increme  DatabaseArchives_crank-va-3.2008-09-19_16.20.50 is
waiting for higher priority jobs to finish

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc.