Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs (shouldn't be)

2008-09-30 14:25:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Concurrent Jobs (shouldn't be)
From: Jason Dixon <jdixon AT omniti DOT com>
To: Andrea Conti <ac AT alyf DOT net>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 14:21:30 -0400
On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 05:04:04PM +0200, Andrea Conti wrote:
> > In that case, how can I explicitly enforce 1 Default job at a time?
> > Imagine the following scenario:
> >
> > Default Job
> > Client A
> > Client B
> > Client C
> > Priority 20
>
> All job definitions are tied to one (and only one) client, so this will
> not work. You can't be running the *same* job on multiple clients, hence
> MaxConcurrentJobs in the job resource (which affects only jobs spawned
> from this particular resource) has no effect.
>
> If you are backing up to disk I suppose the simplest way would be
> writing Default jobs to a separate Storage resource with
> MaxConcurrentJobs set to 1.
>
> Or you could just use a single Storage with MaxConcurrentJobs set to 1,
> since from your description it seems that you never need to write more
> than one job at a time...

Sorry for the delayed response, I was on vacation.

That was just an overview.  Each Job is tied to a single client.  I
haven't been able to get this working properly yet;  the lower priority
jobs always "multiplex" (to use a NetBackup term) concurrently and force
the higher priority job to wait.

I wonder if using Migration would be more appropriate.  I can create a
File Storage device and have the higher priority jobs use that for
Migration, then use tape volumes for the Next Pool.  Does this sound
reasonable?

Thanks,

--
Jason Dixon