Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] n00b question, full backup yields incomplete catalog?

2008-09-09 16:10:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] n00b question, full backup yields incomplete catalog?
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 22:09:53 +0200
Hi,

09.09.2008 21:07, Alan Garrison wrote:
>   John Drescher wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:44 PM, Alan Garrison <alang AT cronosys DOT com>
>> <mailto:alang AT cronosys DOT com> wrote:
>>
>>> Skimming a pg_dump of the bacula
>>> database shows nowhere near 162,000 file records.  The job completion
>>> email does indicate the proper number of files processed, just not the
>>> Catalog.
>>>

>> I assume that a lot of these files have the same name (not including
>> the path)? bacula will only save a filename once in the file table of
>> the catalog

Might also be related to PostgreSQL's handling of non-ASCII text data,
the character set of the columns in question, and so on. Dan knows
more about this :-)

> I do understand how the database is normalized, just for a job with well
> over 100,000 files the "path" table has less than 5,000 records, and the
> "file" table only has ~12,000 records.

Without actually verification I believe this means your results don't
"feel" right, which is a bad basis for problem re-creation to be able
to resolve it in the end.

>  Searching the output of a
> pg_dump shows lots of strings of unique-ish path names from the backed
> up directory (and Volume) that are simply not in the PostgreSQL database.

Now you've got me confused... where does the pg_dump come from, if not
from the PostgreSQL database?

Or do you mean that you see the data in the catalog, but can't get it
reported in bat?

In the latter case, try bconsole, try psql directly, and finally take
special care of the character encoding again.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann