Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VXA library read error captured

2008-09-09 16:06:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VXA library read error captured
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 22:04:29 +0200
Hi,

09.09.2008 19:37, John Drescher wrote:
>> Of course, this is not a fix for the problem. It only improves the chance of
>> successful backup.  Now with this complete log, I would appreciate any ideas
>> you may
>> have on what the actual problem is and how to fix it so this is not
>> necessary.
>>
>> 20080906-02:53:19 The full mt status after final check is:
>> 20080906-02:53:19 SCSI 2 tape drive:
>> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
>> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x82 (DLT 20GB uncompressed).
>> Soft error count since last status=0
>> General status bits on (41010000):
>>  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
>>

> I see my idea of the tape being busy or not at the BOT just after the
> load was wrong. I am out of ideas for now.

Well, that has been ruled out pretty surely earlier ;-)

The log you captured looks perfect. Unfortunately, it also shows that
everything *should* have worked after the first loading attempt.

I can only recommend to investigate logging what the tape driver
module does (no idea how to do this), what the SCSI transport layer
does (there is, IIRC, a debug setting in there somewhere) and to see
what the drive itself does (which is probably only possible for the
manufacturer).

Or, in other words, just make sure you don't lose your modified
changer control script as it seems to nicely avoid the problems. I
guess it could serve as an interesting example of shell scripting now :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann