Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?

2008-08-26 22:23:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?
From: "Dagan McGregor" <Dagan.McGregor AT tnzi DOT com>
To: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:22:50 +1200

 Firstly, thanks for all the replies so far!

 I will be running a back-up of maybe ~10 CentOS servers, not all of which will
be entirely stored on tape, mostly the more important files and database dumps.

 The back-up server I have has a 500GB HDD dedicated for the back-ups, and if I
rebuild it and install the CentOS .el5. RPMS, which appear to reside in
/var/lib/bacula with configs in /etc/bacula, then I think I may need to re-do
the partition plan for that machine to allocate space more efficiently.

 Because I am going to use bacula to back-up ESX VMs, I was hoping that I could
copy the VM files and snapshots to somewhere on /home on the back-up server,
have bacula-fd on the back-up server pickup those files to write to tape.
 Then inside each VM, run bacula-fd to back-up the key files to the back-up
server written to tape.

 Pardon my ignorance, but I am assuming here that all spooling only takes place
on the server running bacula-sd, the back-up server, as each bacula-fd
instance pushes the files across the network to that location. If that is the
case, and spooling location is configurable, I can set that to somewhere in
/home/bacula and make use of that space.

 Network back-up tools in Linux are fairly new to me, and I am trying to get my
head around the Bacula architecture before rolling out all the new servers,
thus my emails :)

Cheers,

Dagan McGregor
Landmark Technologies