Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?

2008-08-24 10:23:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:22:40 +0300
>> Just a question in regards to how much space Bacula
>> generally uses, when doing backups and restores.
>>
>> On the backup server with the storage daemon and
>> director, does Bacula use much in the way of tmp space or
>> disk space allocated for archive files?
>> Does spooling cause Bacula to use tmp space or so forth?
>
> Spooling writes the entire data set first to disk in a directory where you
> configure it to spool. If no spooling is in use, it does not use temporary
> space. When using spooling, you can configure the max size of the spool
> file per job. The job will be spooled in chunks of that size, and each
> chunk will be written to tape or other external media you have configured.
>

>> I have a few servers here that don't have much room in
>> /var and /tmp, and I am just trying to work out where I
>> need to increase the space available on those servers.
>
> Bacula keeps it's catalog in a persistent storage like a MySQL or
> PostgrSQL database. The size requirements will vary and depends on
> retention times, count of media, and files to backup. My
> /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 table space (MySQL with InnoDB) seems to be 512MB,
> but in that database is also a SpamAssassin database. Can't say how much
> bacula takes, but I guess almost all of it. I backup only 3 machines, so
> that is a very small system.

Catalog is important to remember when estimating system disk space
requirements, especially if long retention times are needed. I think
somewhere in the documentation is a formula how to estimate catalog size.
And I think I've seen some postings on the Bacula list that mention over 10
GB catalog sizes. In my system (a few servers only), catalog is below 500
megabytes.

Then, when making a backup of the catalog, there is a need of approximately
same size of temporary file (ascii dump of the database). If not taken into
account, this might cause the filesystem to fill up. I've sometimes been
thinking, if this file should be written into /temp instead of /var/bacula
where Bacula writes it by default.

--
TiN