Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?

2008-08-25 10:45:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 10:45:26 -0400
Previously, Dagan McGregor said:

> Hi all,
>
>  Just a question in regards to how much space Bacula generally uses, when
> doing backups and restores.
>
>  On the backup server with the storage daemon and director, does Bacula use
> much in the way of tmp space or disk space allocated for archive files?
>  Does spooling cause Bacula to use tmp space or so forth?
>
>  I have a few servers here that don't have much room in /var and /tmp, and I
> am just trying to work out where I need to increase the space available on
> those servers.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dagan McGregor
> Landmark Technologies

There are a few considerations.  Make sure you don't fill up where any
of these go...

1) If you intend to do more than one backup at a time you're likely
going to want to turn on spooling.
2) Turning on spooling will then turn on spooling of attributes.
3) The database will need storage to track what's backed up.
4) The database you choose may need temporary storage.
5) Lastly, when you back up the database, if you do a db export to do
the backup make sure that goes somewhere that won't fill up either.

You can probably use defaults for everything if you have a small amount
of files and/or data to back up, or if you have a way of monitoring up
to the minute when file systems get close to full--nightly report
monitoring won't cut it if the temp spaces fills up then files are
removed when backups are done (or crash).

In my case I've got about 130 desktop backup clients averaging around
10GB each, and about 10 servers with about 1 TB of total server data
being backed up.  All goes to tape (but spooling is in use).  My bacula
configuration is
2x500GB 7,200 RPM SATA drives in a raid-1
  this holds /tmp, and /home which has bacula's catalog, temporary
storage for mysql
4x146GB 10,000 RPM SAS drives in a raid-0 config
  this holds the spool files and nothing else.