Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?

2008-08-24 08:52:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How much space does Bacula need?
From: "Jari Fredriksson" <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: "Dagan McGregor" <Dagan.McGregor AT tnzi DOT com>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 15:52:12 +0300
> Hi all,
>
> Just a question in regards to how much space Bacula
> generally uses, when doing backups and restores.
>
> On the backup server with the storage daemon and
> director, does Bacula use much in the way of tmp space or
> disk space allocated for archive files?
> Does spooling cause Bacula to use tmp space or so forth?

Spooling writes the entire data set first to disk in a directory where you
configure it to spool. If no spooling is in use, it does not use temporary
space. When using spooling, you can configure the max size of the spool file
per job. The job will be spooled in chunks of that size, and each chunk will be
written to tape or other external media you have configured.

> I have a few servers here that don't have much room in
> /var and /tmp, and I am just trying to work out where I
> need to increase the space available on those servers.

Bacula keeps it's catalog in a persistent storage like a MySQL or PostgrSQL
database. The size requirements will vary and depends on retention times, count
of media, and files to backup. My /var/lib/mysql/ibdata1 table space (MySQL
with InnoDB) seems to be 512MB, but in that database is also a SpamAssassin
database. Can't say how much bacula takes, but I guess almost all of it. I
backup only 3 machines, so that is a very small system.