Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Spooling and job performance.

2008-08-24 11:43:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Spooling and job performance.
From: "Jose Ildefonso Camargo Tolosa" <ildefonso.camargo AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 11:13:52 +1930
Hi, everybody!

I have been thinking about how spooling affects the overall backup
performance, and I have noticed that while it is despooling, it stops
reading data from the network (off course, the spool space is full,
and it can't read any more data).

So, I was thinking: what about using the old-n-good "double-buffer"?,
I mean, you could split the spool size in half, and spool up to the
first half, start despooling from *that* half, and while it is
despooling, start spooling on the other half, and after the first half
is despooled (it should happend long before the second half is full,
because tapes are usually faster than network, that's the whole idea
behind spooling), start spooling on the first half while the tape is
despooling the second half.  This would make the network transfer
constant, thus increasing the backup performance.  What do you think?,
would this be very hard to implement?

Please comment.

Thanks in advance,

Ildefonso Camargo