Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TLS Question

2008-08-18 02:56:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TLS Question
From: Sergio Gelato <Sergio.Gelato AT astro.su DOT se>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:56:21 +0200
* Franky Almonte [2008-08-17 23:26:51 -0400]:
> Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> > Sergio Gelato wrote:
> >> * Ryan Novosielski [2008-08-17 00:54:44 -0400]:
> > match the
> >> For server certificates, yes. For client certificates, no. The
> >> "TLS Allowed CN" configuration directive is meant to apply to
> >> client certificates.
> >
> > One last question should fix me up -- which counts as a client?
> > Just bconsole, or some of the other connections as well?
> Every host running the Bacula FileDaemon (Client).

That's not quite my understanding.

By definition, the client initiates the connection to the server:
1) bconsole is a client of the director;
2) the director is a client of the FDs and of the SDs;
3) the FDs are clients of the SDs, *but* they don't need a certificate
to authenticate themselves: instead, they use the cookie that the
director hands them for this purpose. This saves the administrator
the trouble of maintaining a list of TLS Allowed CN for all the FDs
on every SD (and of creating client certificates for the FDs; they only
need server certificates).

In practice, you need TLS Allowed CN:
1) in the Director stanza of bacula-dir.conf, to allow bconsole clients;
2) in the Director stanza of bacula-fd.conf, to allow the director;
3) in the Director stanza of bacula-sd.conf, to allow the director.

The director needs both a server and a client certificate. (One could
set the extendedKeyUsage so that the same certificate can be used for
both purposes, but I prefer to issue two different certificates.)