Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Two installation problems, btape & bacula-fd

2008-08-17 17:00:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Two installation problems, btape & bacula-fd
From: Jonathan Sachs <jhsachs177 AT sbcglobal DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 16:00:14 -0500
On 8/16i/2008, John Drescher wrote:

>First check to see if the mt counts work with your tape drive.
>
># mt -f /dev/nst0 status

With the drive empty, that command hangs.  With the drive loaded it gives:

drive type = 114
drive status = 1073741824
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0

>The ip address is probably wrong. You need to edit all three .conf files...

I'm backing up the local machine, so there is no true IP address.  The installer supplied "127.0.0.1" and "localhost" in various places.  I wonder about the use of "localhost," since some of the .conf files contain comments that caution against it, but at this point I'm assuming that the installer knows better than I do!

I've posted the .conf files (minus passwords) at the following locations:

http://www.jhsachs.com/bacula/bacula-sd.conf.html
http://www.jhsachs.com/bacula/bacula-fd.conf.html
http://www.jhsachs.com/bacula/bacula-dir.conf.html
http://www.jhsachs.com/bacula/tray-monitor.conf.html

>...The first thing I would try however is to see what bacula
>daemons are running.

The three I started were running.  I reproduced the test to confirm that:

$ sudo bacula-sd
[sudo] password for jonathan:
$ sudo bacula-fd
$ sudo bacula-dir
$ ps -A | grep bacula
 6384 ?        00:00:00 bacula-sd
 6408 ?        00:00:00 bacula-fd
 6430 ?        00:00:00 bacula-dir

I then tried running btape again, and this time it worked.  I won't reproduce the output, since it was lengthy and apparently normal.  I don't know what made it work this time when it failed last time.

Then I tried running the backup test again, and got the same "Failed to connect to Client Sonata-Ubuntu-fd" error as before.

Thank you for your assistance.  I'm going to be away from my Linux box for about a week, and I probably won't be able to pursue this further until I return.  I'll give it my prompt attention then.