Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Two installation problems, btape & bacula-fd

2008-08-16 23:37:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Two installation problems, btape & bacula-fd
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Jonathan Sachs" <jhsachs177 AT sbcglobal DOT net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 23:37:07 -0400
On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Jonathan Sachs
<jhsachs177 AT sbcglobal DOT net> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up Bacula on an Ubuntu 8.04 system, using installation
> packages from Ubuntu's repository. (The package manager describes the Bacula
> version as "2.2.8-5ubuntu7.") I'm having a couple of initial-use problems.
>
> First: I followed the advice to test my tape drive's compatibility before
> trying to run a backup, and I got this:
>
> $ sudo btape -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0
> Tape block granularity is 1024 bytes.
> btape: butil.c:285 Using device: "/dev/nst0" for writing.
>
> That's all she wrote. No "*" prompt.  btape accepts any command (or garbage)
> without responding.  It just sits there until I kill it.
>
> What should I look for here?  It appears to me that the Ubuntu repository
> gave me a bad build, but so far I know only a little about Ubuntu and less
> about Bacula, so I'm wary of that conclusion.

I doubt it was a bad build in the repository. Fist check to see if the
mt commands work with your tape drive.

# mt -f /dev/nst0 status

> Second: I tried to run the test example job described in section 9.5 of the
> Bacula manual, and had a couple of problems.  The "bacula" script appeared
> to be undefined, so I started bacula-sd, bacula-fd, and bacula-dir (in that
> order) from a terminal window.  Then I started bacula-console and entered
> the commands described in the instructions.  When I entered "status client"
> I got this:
>
> *status client
> Automatically selected Client: Sonata-Ubuntu-fd
> Connecting to Client Sonata-Ubuntu-fd at Sonata-Ubuntu:9102
> Failed to connect to Client Sonata-Ubuntu-fd.
> ====
> You have messages.
> *
> 16-Aug 21:05 Sonata-Ubuntu-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: bsock.c:129 Unable to
> connect to Client: Sonata-Ubuntu-fd on Sonata-Ubuntu:9102. ERR=Connection
> refused
> *
>
> I have not modified bacula-fd.conf. I examined it, and I don't see anything
> wrong with it... but I'm hardly an authority yet!  What should I look for?

The ip address is probably wrong. You need to edit all three .conf
files before having any hope of getting a running system. The first
thing I would try however is to see what bacula daemons are running.

# ps -ef | grep bacula

John