Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula to backup vmware images

2008-08-12 10:30:15
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula to backup vmware images
From: Robert LeBlanc <robert AT leblancnet DOT us>
To: KKGA Marcin Rybak <Marcin.Rybak AT kubas DOT pl>, <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:30:04 -0600
My snapshots are restored in a crashed state. Basically as if the power was
cut on the server. There is no client state remembered after the machine
boots back up. With this set-up I can restore a production machine in a
matter of minutes without any downtime for the back-up and without any of
the issues you mentioned. I only back-up snapshots once a month (just to
prevent rebuilding from scratch) and then do a file level restore from the
back-ups.

Robert

On 8/12/08 1:19 AM, "KKGA Marcin Rybak" <Marcin.Rybak AT kubas DOT pl> wrote:

> I have some experience with backing up virtual machines snapshot, and I find
> them completely useless. Why? Let me show an example.
>
> You make a snapshot of working environment - whatever it is - it has some
> clients connected, some sessions active, and some files opened, then make a
> backup. After a few days you have to recover this environment, because main
> machine is down and unable to recover in any different way.
>
> You put your snapshot up and look what is happening:
> Active sessions ask: hey where are my clients?
> Opened files ask: hmmm, am I opened or I should be closed? Where is person
> who opened me?
>
> It make whole environment completely inconsistent, so I prefer shut down the
> virtual machine, make a snapshot and backup - power it up. Or use a backup
> directly from operating system. I think backing up such a large files, which
> changes not often without incremental way is wasting of storage, time and in
> some cases may be useless.
>
> Best regards,
> Marcin
>

> Marcin Rybak | Kubas, Kos, Gaertner - Adwokaci sp.p. | tel. +48 (12) 619
> 40 60 | fax +48 (12) 619 40 52 | www.kubas.pl

Robert LeBlanc
Life Sciences Computer Support
Brigham Young University