Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula to backup vmware images

2008-08-12 03:19:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula to backup vmware images
From: "KKGA Marcin Rybak" <Marcin.Rybak AT kubas DOT pl>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 09:19:08 +0200
I have some experience with backing up virtual machines snapshot, and I find
them completely useless. Why? Let me show an example.

You make a snapshot of working environment - whatever it is - it has some
clients connected, some sessions active, and some files opened, then make a
backup. After a few days you have to recover this environment, because main
machine is down and unable to recover in any different way.

You put your snapshot up and look what is happening:
Active sessions ask: hey where are my clients?
Opened files ask: hmmm, am I opened or I should be closed? Where is person
who opened me?

It make whole environment completely inconsistent, so I prefer shut down the
virtual machine, make a snapshot and backup - power it up. Or use a backup
directly from operating system. I think backing up such a large files, which
changes not often without incremental way is wasting of storage, time and in
some cases may be useless.

Best regards,
Marcin

Marcin Rybak | Kubas, Kos, Gaertner - Adwokaci sp.p. | tel. +48 (12) 619
40 60 | fax +48 (12) 619 40 52 | www.kubas.pl