Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula to backup vmware images

2008-08-12 11:04:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula to backup vmware images
From: Ronald Buder <rbuder AT proficom-ag DOT de>
To: Lukasz Szybalski <szybalski AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:04:16 +0200 (CEST)
>>Hi

>>>I have some experience with backing up virtual machines snapshot,
>>

>In vmware server 1.0x ! Providing scripts would be great!

Sorry, ESX here, using VCB, like I said. I would have to check with a
VMware Server Installation, but that shouldn't be a problem.

>- How do I create a snopshat via somekind of script?

VCB does this for you, I don't know whether VMware Server has integrated
backup functionality. However, I would think that there is some sort of
cli-management. Does the server run on Linux or Windows?! <--- kind of
the most important question for this part :)

>- How do I put "database into a consistent (sleep) state "

Have the script login into the VM via ssh and run a db-shutdown script
for instance. Or put the DB into some sort of backup mode ("ALTER
TABLESPACE $name BEGIN BACKUP;" <-- Oracle 10.2.0 example, just an
example and not me to be credited for, I'm no Oracle expert whatsoever)

>- This will export " vmdk-files" That get backed up by bacula? Correct?

Correct.

>- Is that all?

Basically. Of course you would want your machines to be running in some
sort of "none-backup-mode" afterwards, which means that you'd have to
create post backup scripts which fire up the databases again or whatever
needs to be done (ALTER TABLESPACE $name END BACKUP; <--- again Oracle
example)

>- How do I restore the whole vmware in case of system crash?

In the case of ESX, the VCB framework comes with restore functionality.
It will then offer replace, rename and skip for each file to be
restored.

>- DB vmware needs to be shut down correct? (I saw some stop/start
>scripts on google, Is there something specific that they need to do?

As long as the VMware Tools are running inside the VM, you can always
shut them down correctly from outside. Right click the machine, select
Shut Down Guest and off you go. For command line this works pretty much
the same way.

vmware-cmd -H hostname -U username -P password
/path/to/vm/and/its/vmx/file/vm.vmx stop trysoft

This command would try to shutdown a virtual machine by running the
configured shutdown script through the tools inside the machine.
Typically something like "shutdown -h now" in Linux (open vmware tools
in Linux, you will need an X11-server for this to run, that's where you
configure custom shutdown scripts).

I'll see that I get my hands on a VMware Server installation to check
what tools are available there. Basically my scripts here are based on
ESX. The tools which is most heavily being used is called vcbMounter and
resides /usr/sbin.

So long...

>Lucas

Ronald