Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] scheduling weirdness (No prior Full backup Job record found)

2008-08-09 11:20:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] scheduling weirdness (No prior Full backup Job record found)
From: "Peggy Wilkins" <enlil65 AT gmail DOT com>
To: Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 10:20:09 -0500
On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Technik <technik AT zli DOT ch> wrote:
> Peggy Wilkins wrote:
>>I have more information on this problem now (quoted below). I have
>>looked more carefully at my backup output and I see now that I didn't
>>notice until looking very carefully today that the problem is
>>occurring on more clients than I originally thought. It appears to be
>>a fairly consistent behavior.
>
> So you did a lot of changes in the last weeks. Just a guess: Did someone
> change the File Sets for the clients the day before a differential job
> was upgraded to a full job? If the File Set is changed for a client the
> next differential or incremental job is automatically upgraded to a full
> job.

I checked into this.  Thanks to RCS, I was able to tell exact dates I
updated my File Set definition(s), and I was able to confirm that
every time I did, the clients using that file set had that night's
backup upgraded to Full.  I only noticed it happening at the time when
I ran out of storage space for specific client backups.  It turns out
that it has been a coincidence that I changed my File Set definition
near the same time each month: May 2, July 2, and August 7.

Clients that didn't use that File Set definition ran their scheduled
Incrementals normally.

This completely explains what I have been seeing; what an astute
suggestion, I don't know that I ever would have noticed it or thought
of it.

Thanks much!

Peggy Wilkins
Sysadmin, the University of Chicago Library