Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] scheduling weirdness (No prior Full backup Job record found)

2008-08-08 17:06:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] scheduling weirdness (No prior Full backup Job record found)
From: "Peggy Wilkins" <enlil65 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 16:05:54 -0500
I have more information on this problem now (quoted below).  I have
looked more carefully at my backup output and I see now that I didn't
notice until looking very carefully today that the problem is
occurring on more clients than I originally thought.  It appears to be
a fairly consistent behavior.

To state it clearly, the problem is this:

Full backup for a client occurs as scheduled during the first week of
a month; then at some point less than a week later (always on a
Thursday), an Incremental backup is upgraded to Full, with the reason
being given that "No prior Full backup Job record found" and "No prior
or suitable Full backup".  However the Catalog shows the previous Full
job is still there and known (as it should be).

Unfortunately I can't give much data about this because since it
started happening in July the following things have happened at my
site:

- bacula was upgraded from 2.2.8 to 2.4.0 on 22 June
- bacula was upgraded from 2.4.0 to 2.4.1 in mid-July
- bacula was upgraded from 2.4.1 to 2.4.2 on 31 July
- we retired some hosts and so removed them from backup during this time
- we upgraded OS on some hosts and so started backups over for those clients

This means that I have very few clients I have steady data for during
this time.  I am sorry I cannot offer more help.

However, I can offer these data points:

I have data for one client through this entire time.  This client
backed up normally through the end of June and started to exhibit this
problem with the start of July.  Here is the backup history for "Full"
backups on this client since the start of June, noting which bacula
version was run at the time:

Sun 01-Jun Full backup as scheduled (bacula 2.2.8)
Thu 03-Jul Full (upgraded from incremental)  (bacula 2.4.0)
Sun 06-Jul Full backup as sheduled (bacula 2.4.0)
Sun 03-Aug Full backup as scheduled (bacula 2.4.2)
Thu 07-Aug Full (upgraded from incremental)  (bacula 2.4.2)

Note that both times Incremental was upgraded to Full, it happened on
the 1st Thursday of the month.

Here is the same information for a second client that I stopped
backing up in mid-July:

Tue 03-Jun Full backup as scheduled (bacula 2.2.8)
Tue 01-Jul Full backup as scheduled  (bacula 2.2.8 fd with bacula
2.4.0 director/sd)
Thu 03-Jul Full (upgraded from incremental)  (bacula 2.2.8 fd with
bacula 2.4.0 director/sd)

Again, the promotion from Incremental to Full happened on the 1st Thursday.

And for a third client which I started backing up in mid-July:

Fri 11-Jul Full backup (initial backup) (bacula 2.4.0)
Sun 03-Aug Full backup as scheduled  (bacula 2.4.2)
Thu 07-Aug Full (upgraded from incremental)  (bacula 2.4.2)

Again, the promotion from Incremental to Full happened on the 1st Thursday.

And finally, a client I started backing up on July 18:

Fri 18-Jul Full backup (initial backup)  (bacula 2.4.1)
Sat 02-Aug Full backup as scheduled  (bacula 2.4.2)
Thu 07-Aug Full (upgraded from incremental)  (bacula 2.4.2)

Again, promotion to full happened on the first Thursday.

If  I can supply more information, let me know.  I thought it was
worth reporting since someone else reported the same problem (on the
first Thursday of the month, to boot!).  It appears to have started
with director version 2.4.0 and has continued since then.  It seems to
be unrelated to retention periods (as far as I can tell).

My original message is quoted below.

Peggy Wilkins
Sysadmin, the University of Chicago Library