Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Cannot find any appendable volumes...

2008-07-31 16:47:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Cannot find any appendable volumes...
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:46:36 -0400

Keith Sudbury wrote:
> Ryan Novosielski wrote:

> This is a pretty basic part of using Bacula. Have you read the manual?
> If so, let someone know where it is you are lost so we can start there.

prizes

> Basically my tapes are filling up and not recycling... by the looks of
> things? yes my conf has  Recycle = yes in the job pool  and AutoPrune =
> yes  in the client section.

> From what I understand this should now over write the tape when it is
> full? Unless I miss understood the manual...

Please make sure you copy the list. I cannot always answer, and everyone
can benefit from answers given.

This alone is not sufficient to cause the tape to be overwritten. You
need to look at what the retention times are for your volumes (llist
media will tell you, among other things) and limiting the amount of time
they can be used in some way (eg. 7 days and they're full, 3 jobs,
etc.). A tape will not be recycled unless it is in the Used/Full mode
generally speaking. The clock starts ticking from the last write
generally speaking. A whole volume is recycled at once, on disk or on tape.

Hopefully this is a help to get you started. I think this is detailed in
the volume-management chapter.

- --