Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] SELinux xattrs

2008-07-29 11:40:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] SELinux xattrs
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 17:39:58 +0200
Hello,

29.07.2008 17:05, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 13:11:53 +0200, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> I still see the advice to disable SELinux if third party applications
>> don't work on RH quite often...
>
> Yeah, because its the easy way out. Just like working with
> Administrator privileges all the time on Windows. (SCNR)
Windows XP - Vista is much better there.

Nice comparison... fortunately, this is the other way round, i.e.
the're running so safe a system it isn't usable for certain purposes,
instead of running an absolutely insecure thing...

>> In fact I always wonder why people install and use SELinux if they're
>> not capable of managing it, but that's another story...
>
> My impression is that most of them do it unknowingly because it's
> enabled by default in their distribution. And I think that's ok.
> A machine secured without its owner's knowledge is still better
> than a machine not secured because its owner doesn't know how.

For a stand-alone client, I absolutely agree. But for servers or
centrally managed desktops I expect the administrative staff to think
about this sort of thing before deploying.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann