Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup catalog script in Ubuntu.

2008-07-28 09:48:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup catalog script in Ubuntu.
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Bruno Friedmann" <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:48:13 -0400
On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM, Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
wrote:
> As all what the script do (essentially) is to create a .my.cnf authentication
> script inside /var/lib/bacula which is only
> accessible to bacula (user and group)
>
> I don't see improvement if you use the standard script (wihout the $1 $2 ....
> ) and just use the credentials file.
> this work also for postgres ...
>
> Don't want to flame but this appear to me like using bazooka to kill fly

For what its worth, we have had a similar suggestion with gentoo in
the last few weeks and the catalog backup scripts were removed from
the install. I am using postgres and don't want to bother with
figuring out how to do that so I found a second install which still
had the old script and I copied it over to the catalog machine and all
was well..

An alternate method could be to backup the catalog via a cron job by
running the appropriate dump programs and then calling bconsole to
backup the sql dump file after this is done.

something like

echo "run catalogbackup yes" | bconsole

after your dump command.

John