Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Release Autochanger After Job

2008-06-30 10:10:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] Release Autochanger After Job
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
To: Bacula Users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:10:34 +0100
Can anyone help me to figure out how to do this?

What I would like to do is the following:

I run 2 jobs per week to a small autochanger. On Friday night,
a weekly full backup of the main fileserver takes place, to its
own pool (currently there are 3 tapes required).

On Sunday night, a monthly backup of one of four less critical
systems takes place, again to its own pool.

I have occasionally had write errors to some of the tapes, and
have found a pattern. The problem always occurs on the last
tape of the Friday backup, or the last (or only) tape of the
Sunday backup. Furthermore, the last Sunday tape is less
reliable than the last Friday tape.

I have now deduced (and experimented a little too) and I now
believe that the reason the last tape is becoming unreliable is
because it is left stationary and unused in the drive for days
at a time. E.g. Friday tape 3 sits until the Sunday night backup
starts; the Sunday tape might sit in the drive all week, until I
remember to change the tapes over for that weekend's backup.

I would like to have the tape ejected (and replaced in its slot)
at the end of each backup. One way of doing this, I think, would
be to issue the command "release <autochanger>" to bconsole in
an AfterJob. Does anyone know of a way to do it using the Bacula
configuration, e.g. with a combination of UseVolumeOnce,
AlwaysOpen=no, etc.?

Allan