Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula and TLS

2008-06-30 04:08:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula and TLS
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:07:44 +0200
Hi,

30.06.2008 04:58, Jon Schewe wrote:
> Has anyone setup bacula to use TLS?

Yes.

> I'd like to use it to backup a host
> across the Internet,

You might also consider a VPN for that purpose... if the jobs are
running very long (typical for full backups and low-bandwidth
connections) and the connection is restet in-between, Bacula itself
would fail the jobs. A VPN might re-establish the connection
transparently for Bacula.

> but I'm having little success. I've set debugging
> up to 200 in the console and in the file daemon and I have yet to get
> anything terribly useful out of it. Hopefully someone has some known
> "gotchas" that I'm missing.

I don't know any gotchas - I found the connection encryption setup
quite straightforward - but here are some links which might help you:
http://www.devco.net/pubwiki/Bacula/TLS/
http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-tls.php
(these are the ones I have in my notes as helpful for TLS setup).

> I've got my own CA and I've successfully created a cert for it, works
> with apache and dovecot. I've told the file daemon, director and storage
> daemon to all use the same cert for now, as for testing they are all on
> the same machine.

Well, you're not telling us your exact configuration, so we can't know
if you need to distribute key files, TLS require settings, or something...

> However when I try and connect to the client for
> status I get a handshake error.

Which error?

> If I turn off peer verification I can
> get status, however the connection from the file daemon to the storage
> daemon fails.

You really need to tell us more... configuration snippets and exact
error messages at least, and of course we need to know which TLS
related files you use, i.e. which files are identical, which need a
password for openSSL, and so on...

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann