Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2008 system state backups

2008-06-26 13:07:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2008 system state backups
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: Chris Sarginson - Technical Support <chris.sarginson AT ukfast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:06:53 -0400
Chris Sarginson - Technical Support wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Whilst I am with what you are saying on here, surely the script backend
> that the batch file calls when it is executed in order to execute the
> application is 64bit?  And knows that I should be accessing the path

As I understand it (and I'll freely admit that my understanding of Windows
internals is quite shaky) the fact that Bacula is a 32 bit program is what
causes the issue.

> directly?  If not this is something that has been changed from Win2k3
> (well, it's definitely changed as the backup utility *was*
> ntbackup.exe), but on 64 bit 2k3 systems, I just adjust the path in the
> script to the correct path (IE c:\windows\syswow64\ntbackup.exe) and it
> works.
>
> Moving the application to another directory causes it to error no matter
> how I run the script btw, so thats not an option either.

The only other workaround I could think of to try, then, would be to write an
actual 64 bit wrapper of some flavor that launches things properly.  As I
said, though, I'm not much of a Windows administrator, so hopefully someone
with more Windows knowledge than I can chime in with some more useful advice.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken