Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2008 system state backups

2008-06-26 12:53:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2008 system state backups
From: Chris Sarginson - Technical Support <chris.sarginson AT ukfast DOT net>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:53:17 +0100
Frank Sweetser wrote:

> Actually, that sounds like it's exactly the problem. Let me explain more
> fully.
>
> On 32 bit Windows, system32 contains 32 bit libraries and binaries.
> Simple enough.
>
> On 64 bit Windows, however, since so many things just directly reference
> the system32 directory, system32 contains all of the 64 bit binaries and
> libraries.
>
> Now obviously, when a 32 bit program tries to run, it will be most
> unhappy if it ends up inadvertently trying to use 64 bit libraries. So,
> in order to work around this, all attempts to access system32 by 32 bit
> programs get redirected to syswow64, which contains all of the 32 bit
> libraries.
>
> So, when Bacula tries to run C:\Windows\System32\wbadmin.exe Windows
> will silently remap it to look for C:\Windows\sysWOW64\wbadmin.exe
> which, as you have pointed out, doesn't exist. Since the remapping
> happens in the background, without Bacula being aware of it, you get a
> completely misleading error message.
>
> The workaround is to make a copy of wbadmin.exe in some place where the
> remapping won't occur, which will allow Bacula to find it.
>
> Does that explanation make more sense?

Hi Frank,

Whilst I am with what you are saying on here, surely the script backend
that the batch file calls when it is executed in order to execute the
application is 64bit?  And knows that I should be accessing the path
directly?  If not this is something that has been changed from Win2k3
(well, it's definitely changed as the backup utility *was*
ntbackup.exe), but on 64 bit 2k3 systems, I just adjust the path in the
script to the correct path (IE c:\windows\syswow64\ntbackup.exe) and it
works.

Moving the application to another directory causes it to error no matter
how I run the script btw, so thats not an option either.

Cheers
Chris