Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Possible Bug

2008-06-26 12:04:43
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Possible Bug
From: Blake Dunlap <blake AT ISDN DOT NET>
To: Blake Dunlap <blake AT ISDN DOT NET>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:04:09 -0500

Ok after looking at the code, it appears that using the restore options “select most recent backup” and “select backup for client before date” have a lot of built in assumptions about configuration for a client.

For a more complex setup, it looks like instead of building the tree list from the most recent full forward (without checking to see that the incrementals / differentials are even based on that job), it needs to instead build the list based on the most recent backup (possibly selecting from the different jobs / filesets), then look for all possible (full / diff / inc) parents needed to restore that job.

I have a hard time calling that a bug though, just a difference of design philosophy.

I guess in the meantime until this gets rethought, or I get ambitious enough to patch the code myself, I need to just build my restore jobids manually, or try using bat to do restores, as the CLI seems rather basic in its restore logic (understandably).

-Blake