Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] NTBackup Batch script to backup Exchange

2008-06-20 04:27:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] NTBackup Batch script to backup Exchange
From: Tilman Schmidt <t.schmidt AT phoenixsoftware DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:27:28 +0200
Keith Sudbury schrieb:
I am going to backup MS Exchange server 2003 using NTBackup and get the client to run this batch file before running the actual backup of the windows server.

The batch file I have looks like this :

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Exchange.bks" /n "Exchange.bkf created 6/19/2008 at 8:08 AM" /d "Set created 6/19/2008 at 8:08 AM" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:off /m normal /j "Exchange" /l:s /f "C:\Backup\Exchange.bkf"

Does this look correct?

You didn't include the content of the .bks file which tells NTBackup
what to back up. You have probably created it through the NTBackup GUI,
but it's a plain text file that can be read and (if necessary) modified
with a text editor. Just be careful to always save it in Unicode as
NTBackup is very particular in that respect.

Btw, I prefer to put that file in a more visible place. Data below
"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data" is all too easily
forgotten.

The fixed date in the /n and /d options (media name and backup set
description) doesn't really make sense, and I don't see much value
in these options anyway, so you might just want to drop them. Also,
I don't think the "/v:yes" (verify) option is actually useful in a
backup to disk.

Other than that, it looks fine.

Basically I want to just do a full backup of exchange each day and over write the file in C:\Backup\Exchange.bkf which the bacula-fd will pick up and write to the tape.

Pragmatic approach, though restores will be a bit cumbersome.
James Harper's Bacula Exchange Agent might be an alternative, but I
haven't found much information about it. In particular, I don't know
if it will clear the Exchange transaction log.

HTH
T.

--
Tilman Schmidt