Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Performance problem with baculas encryption system

2008-06-20 04:34:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] Performance problem with baculas encryption system
From: "John Hemming" <johnhemming1 AT googlemail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:33:57 +0200
Hi,
I think I need some help with the encryption system from Bacula.
It works fine, but it is really slow when I use a client certificate with 4096 bits and a master certificate with 4096 bits.

My measures shows the following, with 4 GB (~54000 files) of data:

Encryption     Time          Average rate
none             ~ 4 min       ~10 MByte/s
1024             ~ 4 min       ~10 MByte/s
2048             ~ 10 min     ~ 5 MByte/s
4096             ~ 40 min     ~ 1,5 MByte/s

Changing the master key seems to have no effect on the rate or time.

As far as I know, Bacula uses the hybrid encryption method, but it looks like Bacula encrypts every file with the certificate and not only the session key, or it uses a new session key for every file.
I further noticed that the average rate went down on small files with 100% CPU power only on one core, and up on big files.

I could not find any solution whether on the Internet nor in the archive, maybe someone of you have an idea how to make it quicker without losing the security or could point a finger on the position in the documentation.

I prefer to use the 2048 encryption but there would be about 160 GB Data to be saved later and this would take, for a full backup, about 8 - 9 hours. A full backup without or 1024 encryption would be at 4 - 5 hours, which is acceptable.

I use the following versions of Bacula:
Server1:
SD (LTO3-Device) + DIR = 2.0.3 (Ubuntu gutsy) (postgres database)

Server2:
FD = 2.0.3 (Ubuntu gutsy)

One thing I did not try yet is the spooling option, because in my opinion it would not make it faster.