Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] NTBackup Batch script to backup Exchange

2008-06-20 03:20:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] NTBackup Batch script to backup Exchange
From: "Janco van der Merwe" <janco_va AT cks.co DOT za>
To: "'Bruno Friedmann'" <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:20:24 +0200
Morning All,

I have been using both methods on a couple of sites and honestly both has it's
pros and cons.

With the NTBackup way unnecessary space is used when the exchange.bkf is
created and when you have to restore it takes longer because now you have to
restore it from Bacula then use NTBACKUP to restore the .bkf file which, if
your exchange goes down or the DB corrupts and you have the BOSSES on your
back, tends to take too long. However with using NTBACKUP your exchange logs
are cleared - that is if you do not believe in circular logging!

With Using VSS there is no unnecessary disk space usage for the backup because
as Bruno pointed out that a snapshot is taken of the Exchange Server and that
is backed up and with a restore it's a breeze. The cons are that the log files
are not cleared but I use circular logging and its works - TRIED AND TESTED

For Individual Mailbox backup you have to use EXMERGE which will export the
mailboxes to pst and merge it after the backup is complete. This is quite a
nice tool especially when the user deletes mail or corrupts his mailbox. In
this case you do not have to restore the entire Exchange DB just the user's pst.

A couple of months ago I read about a project for a Exchange File Daemon, I
can't find the link but I'll post it as soon as I find it again.

With regards,
Janco van der Merwe

Computer Kit Systems
Tel Direct: 011 695 5316