Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Dead jobs, esp. in Bweb

2008-06-18 03:07:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Dead jobs, esp. in Bweb
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:06:40 +0200
Hi,

18.06.2008 08:25, Bastian Friedrich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 17 June 2008, ebollengier wrote:
>> The most simple is to remove them with bconsole
>> delete jobid=1,2,3,4,5
>
> I'd regard that being a task of the system, not a manual thing.

Hmm... I'd regard that as a maintenance job. As a situation where you
have incorrect data in the catalog only happens after an server crash
or a bug, I believe this doesn't need to be done automatically.

> I am considering doing an "update jobs set Status='A' where Status in
> ('C','R','B')" in my init script;

You could do that, of course, but...

> on the other hand: why does Bacula not do
> that itself? The Director should be responsible for maintaining consistent
> data in the catalog. :)

... you need to be sure you only have one DIR running with the
catalog. As it's theoretically possible to share a catalog between
several DIRs, I wouldn't think it's wise to do this automatically.

Note that, as far as I know, nobody does share a catalog between
several DIRs - I don't even know if it's a good idea to try :-)

But as long as there is no locking mechanism for several DIRs, I would
advise against doing this sort of maintenance stuff automatically.
Documenting how to remove stale job entries is a good idea, though.

(But see what dbcheck does...)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann