Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Bacula Retention

2008-06-16 08:16:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Bacula Retention
From: Ariano Bertacca <a.bertacca AT vva DOT de>
To: Michael Short <mdshort AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:16:06 +0200
Am 16.06.2008 um 13:43 schrieb Michael Short:

> Is there a way to configure bacula so that no matter what pruning
> takes place, there is always a reference in the catalog to a file?
>
> I may be incorrect, but the way I'm reading the retention
> configuration information my problem is this:
>
> 1. I perform a FULL backup
> 2. I perform incremental backups
> 3. FULL backup files expire, requiring another full backup.
>
> I would like to be able to configure bacula so that at any given time,
> I have at least X amount of copies of the same file available in the
> catalog, or a specific time-window configuration in which to purge
> older copies of the same file (while keeping copes which meet the time
> restraint). A combination of the two would be nice, where X amount of
> copies are always kept available, and they are pushed out of the stack
> (if you will) when new copies come in and the older copies no longer
> meet the time window.
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Michael Short

Hi there!

As i understand it, X amount of copies equal X full backups, so it
should be easy to setup proper volume pools and schedules.
You try this:

Schedule {
   Name = "foo"
   Run = Full Pool=monthly 1st sun at 00:20
   Run = Full Pool=weekly 2nd-5th sun at 00:20
   Run = Differential Pool=daily tue-sat at 00:20
}

Pool {
   Name = monthly
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Retention = 5 month
   Volume Use Duration = 36 hours
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
   Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
}

Pool {
   Name = weekly
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Retention = 5 weeks
   Volume Use Duration = 36 hours
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
   Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
}

Pool {
   Name = daily
   Pool Type = Backup
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Retention = 30 days
   Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
   Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
}

That should give you at least one copy of each file a week (full
backup) and a lot more copies every night, if your files get changed.
Retention periods of 30 days, 5 weeks, 5 month will make sure that all
files will be safe for at least a month, depending on enough tapes to
go around. Since the weekly and monthly tapes can be kept much longer
(depending on your pool size) you will also be able to recover much
older files.

I recommend reading the bacula manual, especially the parts about pool
and schedulder config, as well as the tape recycling part.

Cheers

Ariano Bertacca
Systemmanagement

fon +49 211 7357-834 | fax +49 211 7357-859

--
Vereinigte Verlagsanstalten GmbH
Höherweg 278 | 40231 Düsseldorf

HR Düsseldorf HRB 658