Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] restoring old data

2008-06-16 08:01:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] restoring old data
From: Damir D <damir222 AT yahoo DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 05:01:17 -0700 (PDT)
Hi,

I need help restoring some pretty old data form backups.

The situation is as follows:

Server is:
Linux 2.6.12-10-686-smp #1 SMP
ubuntu breezy
bacula 1.36.3

it is pretty old version evidently.
There was a windows client that backed up to this server, which held the needed data.

I have been using file volumes for some time. I  have been moving filevolumes to another location periodically, thus forcing bacula to create new filevolume at the original location. I have one old filevolume containing data i whish to restore. Metadata in the sqlite database concerning this filevolume, seems to be purged, so i tried to restore it by using bscan.... which gives me an error and no metadata seems to be restored to the catalog:

/etc/bacula# /usr/lib/bacula/bscan.sqlite -p -s -V A0004 File

bscan: butil.c:258 Using device: "File" for reading.
15-Jun 12:31 bscan: Ready to read from volume "A0004" on device /opt/bacula/filevolumes.
bscan: bscan.c:454 VOL_LABEL: OK for Volume: A0004
15-Jun 12:56 bscan: bscan Error: block.c:304 Volume data error at 1:2619054274! Block checksum mismatch in block 0: calc=7998f98a blk=5c20eb33
15-Jun 12:56 bscan: ERROR in record.c:499 Failed ASSERT: data_bytes < MAX_BLOCK_LENGTH
Segmentation fault

Can someone point me to reccomended way of restoring old files. For my purpose simple utiliy to dump/unpack all contents of filevolume would be enough but i cannot find such a utility?

Should i try to upgrade, or create similiar environment with newer version of linux/bacula?

Are my filevolumes 'damaged' by not having correct end of volume markers? How could that be fixed?