Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Bacula Retention

2008-06-16 09:06:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Bacula Retention
From: "Michael Short" <mdshort AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, "Ariano Bertacca" <a.bertacca AT vva DOT de>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 08:06:22 -0500
> As i understand it, X amount of copies equal X full backups, so it should be
> easy to setup proper volume pools and schedules.

Normally this would be appropriate, but in my case I must use full
backups as scarcely as possible due to bandwidth restraints. Normally
all clients get full backups every three months, and incremental
backups are performed in-between. The problem I'm having is that after
so many incrementals I have tons copies of the same file (with
changes).

What I hope to do is eliminate all copies older than a specified date
as long as there are still X  number of copies left in the catalog.

Eventually I hope to use synthetic backups to prune these files from
the backup volumes (I use a disk based solution to backup windows
servers).

Sincerely,
--
Michael Short