Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Bacula Retention

2008-06-16 09:35:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Configuring Bacula Retention
From: Ariano Bertacca <a.bertacca AT vva DOT de>
To: Michael Short <mdshort AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 15:34:59 +0200
Am 16.06.2008 um 15:06 schrieb Michael Short:

>> As i understand it, X amount of copies equal X full backups, so it
>> should be
>> easy to setup proper volume pools and schedules.
>
> Normally this would be appropriate, but in my case I must use full
> backups as scarcely as possible due to bandwidth restraints. Normally
> all clients get full backups every three months, and incremental
> backups are performed in-between. The problem I'm having is that after
> so many incrementals I have tons copies of the same file (with
> changes).
>
> What I hope to do is eliminate all copies older than a specified date
> as long as there are still X  number of copies left in the catalog.
>
> Eventually I hope to use synthetic backups to prune these files from
> the backup volumes (I use a disk based solution to backup windows
> servers).
>
> Sincerely,
> --
> Michael Short
> Securenets
> (901) 233-9926

Well - what about doing differential backups every 2 or 3 weeks and
incremental more often? Every differential backup will contain any
changed file since the last full backup and if the incremental backups
can be based on the last full+differential backup (i'm quite sure that
is the case) , you should be able to purge all incremental volumes
between last full and latest diff. In fact bacula should do so, if the
retention period for incremental volumes is short enough and the pool
conatins only a few volumes.

Cheers,
Ariano Bertacca
Systemmanagement

fon +49 211 7357-834 | fax +49 211 7357-859

--
Vereinigte Verlagsanstalten GmbH
Höherweg 278 | 40231 Düsseldorf

HR Düsseldorf HRB 658